Join us online on 27 April for a panel discussion titled 'From research-based knowledge to sustainable societies - How to best advance researchers’ cooperation with decision makers, private sector and civil society?'
The CILAC (Open Forum of Sciences of Latin America and the Caribbean) 2021 conference takes place online, 26-28 April. UniPID and the Team Finland Knowledge network for Latin America are organizing a side-event on 27 April titled "From research-based knowledge to sustainable societies - How to best advance researchers’ cooperation with decision makers, private sector and civil society?" The panel is also a part of the official programme of the Finnish Year of Research-based knowledge.
The aim of the panel is to discuss how the research uptake by non-academic actors and the cooperation between researchers and the public sector, private companies and civil society could be best encouraged and advanced, specifically to reach sustainable development. How to find common understanding and match the expectations for relevant knowledge between different actors of society? How to guarantee academic freedom and objectivity when the collaboration includes political or business interests? How to foster the use of diverse and inclusive research knowledge in the cooperation?
The discussion is expected to offer inspiration and also practical advice for creating more neutral spaces for bridging research to policy and practice with reciprocity and respect to each other's knowledge and viewpoints. This panel brings together representatives of Finnish and Latin American research community, as well as public and private sector actors to discuss the use of research-based knowledge in Latin America and Finland, aligned with the thematic focus of CILAC 2021 on inclusive science.
Francesc Pedró, PhD, Director, IESALC, UNESCO
- Ofelia Ángulo Guerrero, PhD, Undersecretary of Science, Technology and Innovation, Mexico City
- Jussi Pakkasvirta, PhD, Professor of Area and Cultural Studies, Vice Dean, Head of Department of World Cultures, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Rodolfo Tecchi, Rector, University of Jujuy, President of the National Interuniversity Council (CIN), Argentina
- Melina Masnatta, Executive director, Chicas en Tecnología, Argentina
- Eija Asmi, PhD, Researcher, Finnish Meterological Institute, Finland
- Johanna Kivimäki, Director, Finnish University Partnership for International Development (UniPID)
- Emilia Ahvenjärvi, Counsellor, Team Finland Knowledge Network, Embassy of Finland in Buenos Aires
The discussion will be in Spanish, with simultaneous translation to English. The event takes place on Zoom on 27 April at 15:30-17:00 Finnish time (9:30-11:00 local time in Buenos Aires).