The Finnish University Partnership for International Development – UniPID and the Finnish Society for Development Research (FSDR) jointly seek exceptional Master’s level theses from UniPID universities to be awarded.
Photo credit: Jorge Jaramillo 2016 on Flickr.
MASTER’S AWARD IN DEVELOPMENT STUDIES 2016
The Finnish University Partnership for International Development – UniPID and the Finnish Society for Development Research (FSDR) jointly seek exceptional Master’s level theses from UniPID universities[i]to be awarded.
The Master’s Award in Development Studies 2016 will be presented in February 2017, in conjunction with FSDR’s Development Day seminar. The prize sum is 1,000 euros. There will also be two honorable mentions for exceptionally meriting works.
The Master’s Award in Development Studies selection criteria are the following:
- The thesis has been approved during the period 1.8.2015-31.7.2016 at a UniPID University, as a master's level thesis included in a degree. The language of the thesis is Finnish, Swedish, or English.
- The grade is at least magna cum laude or higher, or at least 4 if the work has been graded on a scale of 1-5
- This is a multidisciplinary competition and the disciplines are not limited in advance. The work should however employ one of the development research frameworks: development studies, developing country research, international development, or Global South research.
The final review of the work will take into account the following qualities:
- produces new knowledge or approaches old knowledge in a new and innovative way
- includes results with societal significance
an organized and coherent whole
All submissions should be sent in electronic format (PDF) to the Secretary of the Master’s Award Working Group Osku Haapasaari by 31 August 2016 at 16.00 at the latest. The thesis and necessary attachments shouldbe sent either via mail on a CD or USB drive, or as email attachments. The work can be sent either by the Supervisor, ensuring the consent of the author, or by the author.
The submitted theses should be accompanied by the following information:
- personal contact information of the author (home address, email and phone number)
- transcript of records and/or examiner's statement indicating the university, department, supervisor(s), the grade the work received, and the official date of approval
- a summary of the work (max 1 page)
- reasons for participating in the competition (max 1 page)
All submissions should be sent to:
UniPID - Finnish University Partnership for International Development
University of Jyväskylä
PO Box 35
40014 University of Jyväskylä
[i] Aalto University, Åbo Akademi University, University of Eastern Finland, University of Helsinki, University of Jyväskylä, University of Lapland, University of Oulu, University of Tampere, University of Turku.