Doctoral Student Membership
Call for UniPID DocNet Doctoral Student Membership Applications
Following the closure of the national doctoral schools, among them the Finnish Graduate School in Development Studies, DEVESTU, UniPID network has acknowledged the necessity to look for new avenues and create new tools to continue the support for development research doctoral students at national level.
The Finnish development research doctoral network – UniPID DocNet is a nationwide initiative to support the interdisciplinary training and networking of doctoral students in Development Research. UniPID DocNet is a membership based network for selected doctoral students and supervisors from UniPID member universities.
UniPID DocNet goals and activities
UniPID DocNet supports the interdisciplinary training and networking of doctoral students in development research, based in Finnish universities. The complementary UniPID DocNet training aims at strengthening particularly the theoretic-methodological skills and understanding, which are specific to development research or to research on or related to developing countries.
By bringing together both doctoral candidates and their supervisors UniPID DocNet facilitates peer support and relevant academic contacts. This is to enable the exchange of information and experiences, and possible extra supervision, which in turn will enhance the training quality and facilitate the creation of new partnerships.
To achieve the set goals, UniPID DocNet commits to following activities:
- UniPID DocShop: an annual workshop for doctoral students and supervisors to discuss and elaborate on timely issues related to quality of training, or on current theoretic-methodological issues;
- UniPID DocNet Seminar: a yearly get-together for DocNet doctoral candidates and supervisors from across the institutions and disciplines to facilitate networking, peer support, the exchange of knowledge and experiences, and extra guidance for the dissertations;
- Pooling the training and the support offered to development research doctoral training: UniPID member universities are encouraged to open the access to their already existing doctoral training, seminars, and other relevant events to all UniPID member universities;
- UniPID will offer a limited number of travel grants for the doctoral students’ participation in the relevant events organized by UniPID DocNet or by UniPID member universities.
UniPID DocNet membership benefits
The benefits for the UniPID DocNet doctoral student members are the following:
Access to development specific training to complement the training received at their home universities;
- Doctoral students’ peer support and networking;
- Receiving information about the already existing support for doctoral students;
- Receiving extra guidance for their dissertations;
- Priority in the selection of the grantees for UniPID DocNet travel grants and possible other funding;
- Receiving support for strengthening the knowledge and skills to publish in development research journals;
- Increasing the understanding of the challenges and benefits involved in interdisciplinarity;
- Increased contacts and networking with supervisors across the different UniPID member universities;
- Increased contacts with international academic visitors and experts; and
- As a selected position, the doctoral students can refer to UniPID DocNet membership in any funding or other applications.
The UniPID DocNet membership is valid until the PhD is finished. However, should the length of the membership exceed four years, it will be subject to revision. The membership is free of charge.
Requirements for the UniPID DocNet membership applicants
The applicants for UniPID DocNet doctoral student membership have to be enrolled and active doctoral students in a UniPID member university. The applicants must be working on thesis in development research, or related to global development, or developing countries.
The selections of members are made by a selection committee, which is formed by the UniPID doctoral training working group, completed by other academics to ensure disciplinary coverage. The supervisors of the selected students are also invited to become members of the network. In addition, other interested supervisors may be invited.
The UniPID DocNet membership call is open until further notice. Applications will be processed monthly, with August applications being processed at the beginning of September, and so on.
For inquiries, please contact UniPID Coordinator Anja Onali, email: anja.k.onali[at]jyu.fi, tel.: +35840 181 1928.