The Finnish University Partnership for International Development – UniPID and the Finnish Society for Development Research (FSDR) jointly seek exceptional Master’s level theses from UniPID universities to be awarded.
Photo credit: Jorge Jaramillo 2016 on Flickr.
MASTER’SAWARD IN DEVELOPMENT STUDIES 2016
The FinnishUniversity Partnership for International Development – UniPID and the Finnish Society for Development Research (FSDR) jointly seek exceptionalMaster’s level theses from UniPID universities[i]tobe awarded.
TheMaster’s Award in Development Studies 2016 will be presented in February 2017, in conjunction with FSDR’s Development Day seminar. The prize sum is 1,000 euros. There will also be two honorable mentions for exceptionally meriting works.
TheMaster’s Award in Development Studies selection criteria are the following:
- Thethesis has been approved during the period 1.8.2015-31.7.2016 at a UniPID University, as a master's level thesis included in a degree. The language of the thesis is Finnish, Swedish, or English.
- Thegrade is at least magna cum laude or higher, or at least 4 if the work has been graded on a scale of 1-5
- Thisis a multidisciplinary competition and the disciplines are not limited in advance. The work should however employ one of the development research frameworks: development studies, developing country research, international development, or Global South research.
The finalreview of the work will take into account the following qualities:
- producesnew knowledge or approaches old knowledge in a new and innovative way
- includesresults with societal significance
- formsan organized and coherent whole
Allsubmissions should be sent in electronic format (PDF) to the Secretary of the Master’s Award Working Group Osku Haapasaari by 31 August 2016 at 16.00 at the latest. The thesis and necessaryattachments shouldbe sent either via mail on a CD or USB drive, or as email attachments. The work can be sent either by the Supervisor, ensuring the consent of the author, or by the author.
Thesubmitted theses should be accompanied by the following information:
- personalcontact information of the author (home address, email and phone number)
- transcriptof records and/or examiner's statement indicating the university, department, supervisor(s), the grade the work received, and the official date of approval
- asummary of the work (max 1 page)
- reasonsfor participating in the competition (max 1 page)
Allsubmissions should be sent to:
UniPID - Finnish University Partnership for International Development
University of Jyväskylä
PO Box 35
40014 University of Jyväskylä
[i] Aalto University, Åbo Akademi University, University of Eastern Finland, University of Helsinki, Universityof Jyväskylä, University of Lapland, University of Oulu, University of Tampere, University of Turku.