ERAfrica is a 2-year ERA-NET
, focusing on coordinating, reinforcing, and strengthening national and regional EU-Africa S&T collaboration and research. UniPID is involved with the project through the Ministry of Employment and the Economy
ERAfrica's aims are to:
- Establish a long-term framework for communication, collaboration, and coordination of programme owners/managers related to S&T cooperation from Europe and Africa.
- Reinforce EU-Africa S&T collaboration by promoting joint learning by African and European research programme owners and managers and identifying relevant instruments to address more effectively the global challenges of sustainable development.
- Develop joint funding schemes and procedures between European and African programme owners aiming at supporting joint activities.
- Strengthen African research capacities and improve the impact of research for development in Africa. Strengthening the impact and the influence of S&T research implies enhancing the transfer of new knowledge to the benefit of society. It also implies the achievement of the greater coherence between research outputs and policies and funding instruments in other areas than research.
ERAfrica Research Funding:
By the end of 2012, ERAfrica aims to publish a Call for Proposals, with funding for collaborative research projects to begin in 2013. The indicative thematic areas of the call are:
- Renewable Energy
- Interfacing Challenges: multi-disciplinary projects addressing the interface between two or more of the following societal challenges: agriculture, water, energy, health, environment, information society, and housing
- Idea-driven: projects generated in a bottom-up approach by scientists who choose their subject and formulate a research question without a specific theme set by politics or research funders
The following scientific instruments will be supported in the future call:
- collaborative research: projects implemented by a consortium, with clearly defined scientific and technological objectives, to generate new knowledge to achieve specific expected results.
- collaborative innovation: activities implemented by a consortium related to the first application and further market uptake of innovative techniques, processes, products or services, and helping to overcome barriers that could hamper their commercial success.
- capacity-building: activities, which do not cover actual research or innovation itself, but rather initiatives that will assist relevant organizations to improve the enabling environment for research and innovation in Africa or for cooperation between Africa and Europe.
- Assist TEM as Leader of Work Package 1: Information Review and Analysis of Science & Technology Cooperation Programmes in Europe and Africa.
- Contribute to the elaboration, scoping, and publishing of joint funding activities
- Mobilize Finnish funding parties to contribute to ERAfrica joint funding activities
- Participate in ERAfrica events, including: annual meetings, info sessions, etc
- Mobilize Finnish researchers to apply for funding through ERAfrica (2013)
- Provide inputs into ERAfrica activities, reports, documents, and decisions
Every three months, ERAfrica publishes a newsletter of the project's activities, Africa-Europe S&T cooperation issues, and other relevant materials.