The FinCEAL Plus continuation project (2017-2018) aims to provide strategic support to maintain and enhance the cooperation between research and science policy communities in Finland, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). The project is a continuation of the FinCEAL (2013-2014) and FinCEAL Plus (2015-2016) initiatives, all financed by the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.
The specific objectives of the continuation project are to:
- Strengthen Finnish participation in and understanding of the EU science, technology, and innovation (STI) policy dialogues with the target regions;
- Support Finnish participation in joint research projects with partners from the target regions;
- Promote awareness of Finnish expertise and know-how in the target regions; and
- Gather and disseminate information on already existing Finnish cooperation and on new cooperation possibilities with the target regions.
Continuing from the previous projects, and building on the bi-regional policy dialogues, the regional components will focus on the following thematic areas:
These objectives will be achieved through the following activities:
- Africa: renewable energy, ICT, transport, health, food and nutrition security and sustainable agriculture, climate change, and space;
- Asia: renewable energy, ICT, health, food security and safety, water management, cleantech, and nanotechnology;
- LAC: renewable energy, ICT for societal challenges, health, bioeconomy, climate change, and biodiversity.
- Issuing Partnership Support Grants for researchers based in Finnish institutions; including Open Travel Grants, Event Grants, Project Preparatory Grants and Grants for Research Visits to Finland,
- Issuing Targeted Travel Grants to enhance participation of Finnish researchers in bi-regional STI policy dialogue and events that expand awareness of Finnish expertise in the regions
- Organizing thematic networking events in Finland and regional side-events in Europe, Africa, Asia and/or the LAC region
- Updating, maintaining, and expanding the InfoBank, a database of Finnish researchers and research conducted on Africa, Asia or the LAC region
- Acting as a Policy Contact Point between the Finnish research community and policy makers nationally and at the EU level.
- Disseminating information on the cooperation possibilities in the regions.
Read more about the FinCEAL impact and results: